Create your art

Recently while helping teach a children's martial arts class I was reminded of something.

For those who don't know, I am a third dan black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Hence the name of my blog.  

At one point, to encourage the kids, the head instructor stopped everyone and said the following.  "You are martial ARTISTS! I want to see you create your ART!"  

Kicking and punching as art?

Yes! Art. We are living breathing contradictions. We learn the martial. The mechanics of defense. 

But we also train in a spiritual mind and body art. We strive to sync the emotional, the physical and yes the spiritual. A constant journey of self learning and self actualization.   

Now did the kids fully understand that.  Probably not.  But I almost did.  It reconnected me with the artistic(read spiritual) side of my work out. 

I gave a talk to a group of Chaplains about this this afternoon.  I hope it was effective.  Keep moving on the journey of self knowledge and spiritual enlightenment.  They are more closely tied than you might think. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread of Life. A reflection on John 6:35-40

Paternity Leave

Don't cancel me Bro!